Welcome to Win-sprin, that strange little time of year between the melting of the snow and the greening of the forest floor.
- fire danger ✓
- frogs calling (not quite yet)
- new migrants arriving like juncos, new sparrows,
- yellow-bellied sapsuckers, flickers, phoebes, and the first swallows and warblers ✓
- the emergence of hibernating butterflies ✓
- catkins and tree pollen ✓✓
- the wild and wonderful courtship flight of the timberdoodle (or American woodcock) ✓
The video of the woodcock's air dance was supplied to YouTube by Mass Audubon's Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary in Cummaquid, MA.